Power of Adapting: How Technology Is Changing Fitness Events
February 3rd, 2017 by Brian Zinkel
In today’s instant-gratification world, everything and everyone relies on technology. This is especially true within the younger Millennial generation, as more than 99% of those aged between 18 to 34 use the Internet regularly. What’s more, 92% of young people own a smartphone, which means they bring the Internet wherever they go. But young people aren’t the only ones addicted to their tech.
As of 2015, 85% of event planners were using mobile apps to organize and run their events, conferences, and trade shows. So, how else has technology changed the world of major events and conferences?
While most conference apps are meant to make planning easier for the organizers and enhance the experience for the attendees, the demand for high-speed internet has added new complications, too. At larger events, attendees can use massive quantities of data in just hours, and this can be quite expensive. For instance, the 14,640 attendees at the 2016 North American Auto Show used 3.06 TB of data, costing the conference $2 million.
And when it comes to all the ways technology and mobile apps have changed events, we’ve barely scratched the surface. Below, you’ll find some of the biggest evolutions in the world of event planning.
Massive Crowds Require Massive Bandwidth:
- Fans at the 2016 Super Bowl used 7 terabytes of data over 35,000 mobile devices. This cost $70 million over the course of the game.
- The Las Vegas Convention Center now provides WiFi to their users, so much so that 2,100 WiFi access points can provide functioning wireless to 100,000 users. While this costs $18 million, it is an investment in the future of their brand.
- The 14, 640 attendees at the 2016 North American Auto Show used 3.06 TB of data, costing the conference $2 million.
An App for Every Event:
There are so many apps on the market right now that you can completely customize an app to everything your event needs. There are even event apps for creating apps for events. For perspective, there are 2,042,115 Apple apps in the Apple Appstore, including 1.9 million for just the iPhone.
The Benefits of Custom Apps for Events:
According to event professionals, the five most beneficial reasons to invest in a mobile app for your event :
- Increase of attendee convenience 16%
- 15% increase in attendee engagement
- 12% reduction in printing costs
- 12% ROI on gathering and measuring data
- 9% more sponsorship opportunities.
With these tips in mind, what are you waiting for? Implement mobility into your event today.